While hunger is inevitable when dieting, there are several strategies you can use to help reduce hunger:
- Hydrate: Fluids will fill your stomach, which expands it. This causes a signal to be sent to the brain that you’re not as hungry. Try drinking 12 – 16 ounces of water before meals to help curb your appetite.
- Choose More Filling Options: If you choose fruits and high-volume veggies for your carbs, they will fill you up more than if you choose very energy-dense options, such as white rice.
- Eat Slowly: It takes roughly 20 minutes for your body to send signals to your brain that you’re full. By slowing down, you allow ample time for this to occur, while simultaneously eating less. By the end of the meal, you will have eaten less, yet feel fuller than usual -- an especially great feeling when dieting! To help yourself slow down:
- Cut food into tiny, bite size pieces
- Do 15 – 20 chews per bite
- Put down your eating utensil in between bites
Please sign in to leave a comment.